1) China’s Tencent & WeChat Billionaire
Pony Ma is one of the richest people in the world. He created Tencent (domain: tencent.com), China's tech colossus, one of the ten largest companies in the world and developer of the WeChat app (domain: wechat.com), China's ubiquitous multi-purpose messaging, social media and mobile payment app. But few signs in his early years suggest that he would become such a success. Bloomberg.com video above first published 11 Jul 2018.
|Tencent Holdings Ltd HKG: 0700|
2) Browser Market Share Worldwide (all devices) June 2018--Where's Amazon Silk?
- Chrome 58.94% (Google)
- Safari 13.7% (Apple)
- UC Browser 7.46% (Alibaba)
- Firefox 5.17% (Mozilla Foundation, Mountain View, California)
- Opera 3.5% (Chinese consortium)
- IE 3.12% (Microsoft)
NASDAQ Composite +0.9% | S&P 500 Index +0.8% | DJIA +0.1%
|Apple $AAPL Jul 27-Aug 2, 2018|
Wall Street's Charging Bull
a. Disrupted: "the staid taxi industry slept through the arrival of smartphones – and what an app-based system could do. While there are now apps for taxi services, it’s too little too late"--WolfStreet.com.
b. Facebook's Big Single Day Market Cap Loss in Context:
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- 342M smartphones were shipped worldwide in Q2 2018, down 1.8% YoY from 348.2M, with Huawei passing Apple to ship the second-most smartphones--IDC.com.
- Chinese smartphone market declined 7% YoY in Q2 2018, fourth consecutive quarter of annual decline; Huawei's marketshare grew from 20% to 26%--counterpointresearch.com.
- Amazon has 70% of the U.S. home speaker market, followed by Google with 24% and Apple only 6%. The number of smart speaker devices in use in the U.S.? 50 million--CNET.com.
- 5G: Nokia & T-Mobile US agree to $3.5B 5G network hardware deal--reuters.com.
- "Logistics is hard"--Walmart stumbles with its 'last mile' package delivery plan--reuters.com.
- Cryptocurrency: California college student who allegedly was a member of OGUSERS, allegedly stole over $5M in cryptocurrency by "SIM swapping" (hijacking cellphone numbers)--motherboard.vice.com.
- Transaction Costs and Tethers: Why I’m a Crypto Skeptic--Paul Krugman in the New York Times | NYTimes.com.
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo