Almost two months after the NTIA announcement on the IANA transition, ICANN finally wakes up and realizes almost everybody thinks ICANN is unaccountable and irresponsible--
Read all about this accountability enhancement project for ICANN insiders at the following links:
Enhancing ICANN Accountability | ICANN http://www.icann.org/en/news/public-comment/enhancing-accountability-06may14-en.htm
ICANN Accountability | ICANN http://www.icann.org/en/news/announcements/announcement-06may14-en.htm
ICANN’s Accountability in the Wake of the IANA Functions Stewardship Transition: "Ever since the NTIA announced its intention to transition the stewardship of the IANA functions, the ICANN Community, our Board, and ICANN’s leadership all have been in agreement that a process on ICANN’s overall accountability is needed. This process should look at from an organizational perspective, whether and how ICANN’s broader accountability mechanisms should be strengthened to address the absence of its historical contractual relationship to the U.S. Government. I can say that the framing of this process and how it relates to the other, recently- launched process on the transition of IANA stewardship itself, are top priorities for the Board and me [Steve Crocker]. As Fadi noted in Sao Paulo, the two are closely interrelated and will run in parallel. Our handling of these processes will be closely scrutinized. Enhancing ICANN’s accountability is key to the success of the IANA functions stewardship transition process. We must be accountable to the global community beyond our role as the administrator of the IANA functions....Though open to all, the accountability process will take place mainly within the ICANN community, whereas the process on the transition of the IANA functions stewardship will occur across multiple fora. ICANN’s role in the latter is also limited to that of a convener and facilitator."--Steve Crocker, Chairman of ICANN Board of Directors
Domain Mondo archive
- ► 2019 (185)
- ► 2018 (376)
- ► 2017 (375)
- ► 2016 (431)
- ► 2015 (604)
- The Real Problem With ICANN Multistakeholderism
- The broken ICANN culture, Kieren McCarthy 2012 ana...
- ICANN, Kurt Pritz, Conflict of Interest, new gTLD ...
- ICANN, new gTLD domain names, and the Law of Bad I...
- What Is Going On Over at Rick's Blog?
- Online Ads, Malware, Marketers, Placement Problems
- Parasites of the Domain Name Industry
- Tim Berners-Lee on ICANN, new gTLDs, public interest
- Does ICANN Exist Primarily to Enrich Insiders and ...
- Domain Name Registrations and the Global Internet ...
- Slow Lane Internet is NOT Net Neutrality (video)
- Trademark counsel slam ICANN's new gTLD domain names
- Before there ever was an ICANN, there was an IANA
- Need a Dot Com Doman Name? Quintillions are availa...
- IANA transition, Google Responds to ICANN Draft Pr...
- Websites Blacklisted for Spreading Malicious Softw...
- ICANN Intends to Become Accountable, Too Little To...
- Death of the URL? Death of Direct Navigation?
- Fadi Chehadé, Will ICANN Move to Switzerland?
- ▼ May (19)