1) Ethereum Co-Founder Discusses the Future Decentralized Web
Bloomberg.com video above published Jan 9, 2018: Joseph Lubin, Ethereum co-founder, discusses the future of the decentralized web ("web 3.0"), the role digital plays, net neutrality, blockchain, and the future "explosive growth regime," as well as Ethereum co-founder Vitalik Buterin.
- Cryptocurrency: US regulators to discuss Bitcoin futures trading on Jan 31--TheHill.com. See also TheHill.com: SEC warns cryptocurrency investors of rampant illegal trading.
- As Bitcoin and Ethereum blockchains' transaction fees skyrocket, entire categories of decentralized apps are made impractical--TechCrunch.com.
2) Amazon $AMZN Buy Target $TGT ? Galloway Says Amazon Can Do Better
NYU Stern Professor Scott Galloway discusses the potential for Amazon to acquire Target. He speaks on "Bloomberg Daybreak: Americas." Bloomberg.com video above first published Jan 3, 2018.
- How Jeff Bezos' Washington Post Became The US Military-Industrial Complex's Chief Propagandist | ZeroHedge.com
Wall St. hits new highs on earnings optimism, data | Reuters.com
The Stock Market Never Goes Down Anymore | Bloomberg.com: "Something has changed in equities. If 2017 was a slow but steady slog, 2018 has been off to the races, with shares rising at four times last year’s daily rate on the back of Donald Trump’s tax package and gathering signs of economic strength. Forty seven companies in the S&P 500 are already up at least 10 percent this year, compared with just two down as much."
“Even if you were the bullest of the bulls, this crazy rally start to the year took you off guard ... We’ve completely run out of ways to describe what’s happening.”--Michael Antonelli, institutional equity sales trader and managing director, Robert W. Baird & Co.Investing Notes:
- Bullish: Jamie Dimon thinks even his own economist at J.P. Morgan is dead wrong about GDP, predicts 4% U.S. growth | MarketWatch.com
- QE Forever in the Eurozone? What’s next for the euro in 2018?| MarketWatch.com: "... the eurozone has a central bank that hasn’t yet turned off the money spigot ... The European Central Bank, which meets Jan. 25, extended its tapered asset-purchase program to September 2018..." [Editor's note: a 'day of reckoning' is coming for the Eurozone.]
- China: The Biggest Threats to China’s Economy in 2018 | Bloomberg.com: "Significant economic imbalances continue to create downside risk to the outlook for 2018"--Rajiv Biswas, chief Asia-Pacific economist at IHS Markit in Singapore. See also: What can we expect in China in 2018? | McKinsey.com.
- Hard Currency--WolfStreet.com: The world's central banks are still leery of the Chinese yuan--global officially “allocated” reserve currencies in Q3 2017 (via IMF stats)--US dollar: 63.5% share (down slightly from 64.6% in Q3 2014); Euro: 20% share (down from 22.6% in Q3 2014); Japanese Yen: 4.5% share (up from 3.6% in Q3 2014); UK Pound Sterling: 4.5% share (up from 3.75% in Q3 2014); The Australian and Canadian dollars shares of 1.8% and 2.0% respectively; Chinese yuan share only 1.1%; Swiss franc share 0.2%.
- Managing Risk Separates The Best From The Rest: “Outstanding investors, in my opinion, are distinguished at least as much for their ability to control risk as they are for generating return”--Howard Marks.
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- Google's Chrome is turning into the new Internet Explorer 6 | TheVerge.com: "Chrome-only sites are a problem"--Web developers and Google's own apps diverge from open web ethos by optimizing for Google-developed standards that first ship in the Chrome browser.
- Google payment solutions, including Android Pay and Google Wallet, now under a single brand: Google Pay--Bringing it all together with Google Pay | blog.google: "Google Pay is already available on Airbnb, Dice, Fandango, HungryHouse, Instacart, and other apps and websites you love. (Be sure to take advantage of our current offers to save time and money.) If you’re a developer, visit our Payments Solutions site to see how you can implement Google Pay, or work with one of our processor partners for even simpler integration."
- Digital Transformations: A CEO guide for avoiding the ten traps that derail digital transformations | McKinsey.com
- On Thursday, Jan 18, 2018, the House Commerce subcommittee on consumer protection will hold a hearing at 10 a.m. ET, on the Internet of Things (IoT) and its impact on manufacturing and innovation.
- Corning: Gorilla Glass Is Great But A Small Part Of Revenue - Corning Inc. (NYSE:GLW) | SeekingAlpha.com: "Gorilla Glass is on billions of smartphones and tablets, but it is only 9% of Corning's revenue."
- Huawei's global ambitions hit by AT&T phone distribution deal's collapse | Reuters.com: "security concerns."
- Google Can't Stop Getting Its Bikes Jacked | gizmodo.com: "no matter how rich and powerful you are, someone is still going to f*ck with your bike."
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo