1) Is Google Done? Google 'Can No Longer Innovate' Says Ex-Googler (Former Engineer)
|Error message on Jan 25, 2018, to users of Google's Blogger platform worldwide|
Alphabet Inc. (Google) $GOOG $GOOGL. Q4 2017 results will be released Feb 1, 2018, after market close.
2) Big Tech vs. Antitrust & Unfair Competition Laws
EU fines Qualcomm €997M for abusing market dominance, says $QCOM paid Apple to buy LTE baseband chipsets from Qualcomm exclusively; Qualcomm appeals.
See also HQ2 Much - Amazon.com, Inc. (NASDAQ:AMZN) | SeekingAlpha.com by Scott Galloway: "I'm announcing a contest to decide which big tech firm should be broken up first. The finalists are Facebook (NASDAQ: FB) and Amazon [NASDAQ: AMZN], who both prioritize shareholders over the condition of our souls, or the country's prosperity.".@Qualcomm to pay fine of €997 mio. They illegally shut out rivals from market of LTE baseband chipsets for over 5 years. Misuse of dominant position. Don’t.— Margrethe Vestager (@vestager) January 24, 2018
Major U.S. stock indexes close at records as economy remains in growth mode | MarketWatch.com
Melt-Up? "Well, if there is such a thing as a "melt-up" then I suppose $58 billion in inflows over four weeks counts. One fund manager who spoke to Bloomberg this week described the mood over the past month as "totally insane" ..."--SeekingAlpha.com
Editor's note: The U.S. economy, stimulated by Trump's tax reforms, deregulation, and emphasis on U.S. domestic investment, could, in sum, easily handle an increase in Fed rates of 200 basis points or more. Ray Dalio says this "short-term stimulus" is producing a “12-to-18-month spurt, ... [during which] people feel stupid about holding cash," but instead, could we be looking at a 18-36 month "sprint"? Remember, Draghi and the ECB are dragging their heels, so that puts a brake on how fast the Fed will tighten, and at the same time, Draghi is scared of Mnuchin's cheap dollar. Read Steven Mnuchin vs. Mario Draghi: The ECB Loses | WSJ.com.
Why Didn't The Market React To The Government Shutdown Threat? | SeekingAlpha.com: "going to take more than yet another example of legislative ineptitude to do any lasting damage to this rally."
- Another Good Year Ahead | Blackstone.com: "In my view, we have at least a year or two before the next major downturn in either the market or the economy, barring a major geopolitical conflict ... A 10%+ correction could occur at any time because sentiment is so optimistic, but the signals that usually warn of a recession, like a loss of economic momentum or an inverted yield curve, are not in place."--Byron Wien
- U.S. government forecasts U.S. oil production will climb to 11 million barrels a day by late 2019, rivaling Russia, the world’s top producer.
- How to Fix the Euro Zone Without Setting Off Alarms | Bloomberg.com
- Senate Confirms Jerome Powell as Federal Reserve Chairman | WSJ.com: confirmed by a 84-13 vote, new Chairman's term effective when Janet Yellen's 4-year term expires Feb 3, 2018.
- Central Banks: From Coordination to Competition | charleshughsmith.blogspot.com
- Immigration in the Trump Era: Senator Hatch's bill would dramatically increase H-1B visas | TheHill.com: "the bill would make sure that holders of U.S. master’s degrees or higher, foreign Ph.D.’s and U.S. STEM bachelor degrees are prioritized ..."
Q4 2017 Earnings Season on DomainMondo.com
- Facebook | NASDAQ: FB Jan 31, 5:00pm ET
- Alphabet | NASDAQ: GOOG / NASDAQ: GOOGL Feb 1, 4:30pm
- Apple | NASDAQ: AAPL Feb 1, 5:00pm ET
- Amazon | NASDAQ: AMZN Feb 1, 5:30pm ET
- Twitter | NYSE: TWTR Feb 8, 8:00am ET
- Verisign | NASDAQ: VRSN Feb 8, 4:30pm ET
- GoDaddy | NYSE: GDDY Feb 22, 2018 5:00pm ET
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- Easy Come, Easy Go? Apple discontinuing iPhone X in 2018?--mashable.com. See also:"disinterest in China is the main reason"--forbes.com
- What If Children Should Be Spending More Time With Screens? | WSJ.com: "New guidance on children and technology makes the distinction between passive exposure and active play and learning with screens"
- Coming soon: 3 Mega Video Platforms: Disney vs Netflix vs Amazon? But what about Google Play/YouTube and Apple?
- Whoops! Intel tells users to stop deploying buggy Spectre patch--TheVerge.com
- Leaving Windows: How the Pixelbook replaced my Surface Pro 4, no regrets | ZDNet.com: "I went all in with a Chromebook."
- China’s JD.com Prepares to Take on Amazon on Its Home Turf | Bloomberg.com: JD.com is in talks to sell 15% of its logistics unit to Tencent, others, as it prepares to launch in Los Angeles in 2018.
- China: Ken Rogoff Warns "China Will Be At The Center Of The Next Global Financial Crisis" | ZeroHedge.com: "China is probably the place most at risk of having a significant downturn in the near term. It’s certainly the leading candidate for being at the center of the next big financial crisis."
- Scammers getting rich using social media, scam news sites, and private pump and dump group chats to spread false information about cryptocurrencies--buzzfeed.com
- Stripe ends support for bitcoin payments April 23, citing volatility and long transaction times. Bitcoin had been supported since 2014--TechCrunch.com.
- FTC makes second request on Broadcom's bid for Qualcomm: anti-competitive merger?
One Last Thing:
The End of Blogs? "In 2015, Grantland, an ESPN venture with bloggy intimacy, was shuttered. In 2016, the indie women’s blog the Toast folded for lack of a financial future ... the beloved, uncategorizable blog TheAwl.com announced that it, along with its sister site, TheHairpin.com, would cease operations at the end of the month"--The New Yorker
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo