Read the Earnings Press Release (pdf) issued Jan 30 after market close: Revenues rose 30% to $16.9B; mobile advertising revenue was 93% of ad revenue, up from prior year's 89%, and net income was up 61% to $6.88B. Other highlights below.
UPDATE: Fourth Quarter and Full Year 2018 Operational and Other Financial Highlights
- Daily active users (DAUs) – DAUs were 1.52 billion on average for December 2018, an increase of 9% year-over-year.
- Monthly active users (MAUs) – MAUs were 2.32 billion as of December 31, 2018, an increase of 9% year-over-year.
- Mobile advertising revenue – Mobile advertising revenue represented approximately 93% of advertising revenue for the fourth quarter of 2018, up from approximately 89% of advertising revenue in the fourth quarter of 2017.
- Capital expenditures – Capital expenditures were $4.37 billion and $13.92 billion for the fourth quarter and full year 2018, respectively.
- Cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities – Cash and cash equivalents and marketable securities were $41.11 billion at the end of the fourth quarter of 2018.
- Headcount – Headcount was 35,587 as of December 31, 2018, an increase of 42% year-over-year.
- In addition, the company estimates that around 2.7 billion people now use Facebook, Instagram, WhatsApp, or Messenger (the "Family" of services) each month, and more than 2 billion people use at least one of the Family of services every day on average.
Facebook's fourth quarter and full year 2018 financial results will be released after market close on Wednesday, January 30, 2019. Facebook will host a conference call to discuss its results at 2 p.m. PT / 5 p.m. ET the same day. The live webcast of the call can be accessed at the Facebook Investor Relations website at investor.fb.com, along with the company's earnings press release, financial tables, and slide presentation. Following the call, a replay will be available at the same website. A telephonic replay will be available for one week following the conference call at 404.537.3406 or 855.859.2056, Conference ID: 6461349. Transcripts of conference calls with publishing equity research analysts held on January 30, 2019 will also be posted to the investor.fb.com website.
- January 24, 2019 https://www.plainsite.org/realitycheck/fb.pdf
- Apple says it banned Facebook's Research app yesterday, before Facebook could voluntarily shut it down, and condemns “clear breach of their agreement”--techcrunch.com.
- Facebook’s messaging merger leaves lawmakers questioning the company’s power: ‘We cannot allow platform integration to become privacy disintegration’--theverge.com.
- Ireland is questioning Facebook’s plan to merge Messenger, Instagram, and WhatsApp--Facebook’s previous data-sharing proposals have ‘given rise to significant data protection concerns’--theverge.com.
- In WSJ Op-Ed, Mark Zuckerberg Speaks Down to Users and Misses the Point--eff.org, and "A Guided Tour of the Data Facebook Uses to Target Ads"--eff.org.