1) Holding ICANN Accountable: ICANN FY16 IRS Form 990 Redux
News Review: ICANN Chairman and ICANN Accountability & Transparency
• Follow-up email Monday, July 17, 2017, to ICANN Chief Financial Officer Xavier Calvez:
• On Tue, Jul 18, 2017, ICANN CFO Xavier J. Calvez wrote:
Dear Mr. Poole,My reply of July 18: Dear Mr. Calvez: Thank you for the quick reply, and yes, I agree with your suggestion. Best regards, John.
Thank you for your note below [July 17 email above]. I acknowledge and agree that the document posted on 13 July in response to your questions left unanswered the specific question that you highlighted in the paragraph referenced below in quotes. This question is perfectly relevant to the topic of disclosures of information on compensation of directors, officers, key employees, etc… and answering it will help providing clarity and transparency on this matter which is technically complex and subject to legitimate and useful public scrutiny. The discussion you offered to explain further the quoted paragraph will be quite helpful to ensure we address fully your question, and I thank you for it. I suggest that we publish your email below and the response that I will provide in accordance with our Correspondence process.Thank you.
2) Other ICANN news:
"The practical effect of the Panel's ruling is that the dispute is remanded for further proceedings. In other words, Brazil, Peru, the GAC and ICANN, as well as Amazon, may now supplement and strengthen their positions ..." --Hon. A. Howard MatzGo to the link above to read why Peru, Brazil, and the GAC may ultimately prevail and block .AMAZON.
b. New gTLD .WEB: ICANN Hands Over 7000 Pages to DOJ Antitrust Division | DomainMondo.com
ICANN Org Report to the Board Highlights June 2017 [covering 11 Apr-30 May 2017]: a. New gTLD .WEB - DOJ Antitrust Division Investigation; b. ICANN Headcount; c. New gTLDs Program; d. ICANN Security Operations team report; e. Gravy Train: ICANN59 "Supported Travelers"; f. ICANN.org website g. FY18 Projections for new gTLD transaction fees; h. Outstanding ICANN Board Issues from May 2017 Board Workshop."
c. Independent Review Process Documents | ICANN.org: CEP and IRP Status Update, 18 July 2017 (pdf, 327 KB).
3) Names, Domains & Trademarks
US Prosecutors drop all charges against Calvin Ayre | GamblingInsider.com: ".... following last week’s ruling Ayre was allowed to reacquire the Bodog domain name [bodog.com] in exchange for a one-off payment of $100,000."
• China: Cybersquatter asks Chinese court to declare its own domain names invalid | Hogan Lovells | JDSupra.com: "This is not the first case where the Beijing Haidian Court found against domain name registrars for participating in cyber-squatting activities. Would these cases support a brand owner in tackling cyber-squatting by arguing in court that the registrars involved are liable or at least jointly liable? This seems like a potential strategy. One advantage would be that unlike domain name proceedings under UDRP, courts can grant compensation to a winning plaintiff, and in a cyber-squatting case the plaintiff may find that the registrars are in a better position to pay compensation ..."
• Trademark Infringement: Stone Creek, Inc. v. Omnia Italian Design, Inc. (9th Cir. July 11, 2017). "The court in Stone Creek held the defendant’s knowledge of the plaintiff’s trademark rights defeats any defense of good faith adoption of a mark in a remote geographic area ... [also] ruling that a plaintiff must prove willfulness in order to be awarded the defendant’s profits."--Dorsey & Whitney LLP | JDSupra.com.
• What do you see as the biggest problems in the domain industry? | TheDomains.com: One comment:"One word: ICANN. Consistently wrong policy choices are being made there ..." --Another comment: "ICANN has become corrupt ..."
- Sexual Harassment and the Internet | Intellectual Freedom Blog | oif.ala.org: "... According to the U.S. Department of Justice, “From 1995 to 2010, the estimated annual rate of female rape or sexual assault victimizations declined 58%, from 5.0 victimizations per 1,000 females age 12 or older to 2.1 per 1,000.” But over the same period, internet access was on the rise. On the basis of this evidence, it looks like the more internet access there is, the less we see of sexual assault ..."
- We Must Keep the Internet Free and Open. EFF, Tech Giants, Startups and Internet Users Tell FCC: Don’t Sell Out Net Neutrality To Appease ISPs | Electronic Frontier Foundation | eff.org
- U.S. Department of State Internet Freedom Funding Opportunities | Open Technology Fund | opentech.fund
- IGF-USA on July 24 | igf-usa.org: Monday, July 24, 2017 from 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM EDT in Washington, D.C.--Eventbrite registration for those who plan to attend in person--the event will also be live streamed and captioned. The program is here.
- Alphabet $GOOG / $GOOGL July 24 5pm EDT
- Facebook $FB July 26 5pm EDT
- Twitter $TWTR July 27 7am EDT
- Verisign $VRSN July 27 4:30pm EDT
- Amazon $AMZN July 27 5:30pm EDT
6) Most read posts (# of pageviews Sun-Sat) this past week on DomainMondo.com: