Features • 1) US Tech Stocks Soar, Hitting New Highs, 2) How Trump Is Kicking Silicon Valley's Butt, 3) China Takes Advantage of U.S. Limits on Drone Sales, 4) Amazon $AMZN DC Lobbying, FTC Probe, Messaging App, 5) Oculus Rift Dead in the Water, 6) FANG and Q2 2017 Earnings this week, 7) ICYMI Tech News.
Update July 25, 2017:
1) US Tech Stocks Soar, Hitting New Highs
Video above published Jul 20, 2017, by FT.com: The crash of tech stocks after dotcom mania and the long, subsequent crawl back by the sector has been accompanied by radical change.
2) How Trump Is Kicking Silicon Valley's Butt
Video above published Jul 20, 2017, by Bloomberg.com: Bloomberg’s Max Chafkin discusses how Silicon Valley’s resistance to the Trump administration has faded. He speaks with Emily Chang on “Bloomberg Technology.”
3) China Takes Advantage of U.S. Limits on Drone Sales
Video above published Jul 18, 2017, by WSJ.com: As the U.S. tries to curb the selling of military drones overseas, China is filling the void, expanding sales of the advanced weaponry in the Middle East and Africa.
4) Amazon $AMZN: Amazon spent $3.2 million in second quarter on Washington lobbying effort | Reuters.com and FTC probing allegations of Amazon's deceptive discounting | Reuters.com and Amazon Makes A Move On Facebook | SeekingAlpha.com: "It is also looking to build a messaging app which will directly challenge the dominance of Facebook Messenger and WhatsApp."
5) Oculus Rift Is Dead in the Water | MIT TechnologyReview.com--Facebook acquired Oculus for $2 billion in 2014.
6) FANG--Facebook (FB), Amazon (AMZN), Netflix (NFLX), Google (Alphabet: GOOG, GOOGL)--Ranked By Strength Of Competitive Advantage: "If we take price into account, there is only one FANG I'd want"--$GOOG, $GOOGL--SeekingAlpha.com
Q2 2017 earnings this coming week:
- Alphabet GOOG / GOOGL July 24 5pm EDT
- Facebook FB July 26 5pm EDT
- Twitter TWTR July 27 7am EDT
- Verisign VRSN July 27 4:30pm EDT
- Amazon AMZN July 27 5:30pm EDT
7) ICYMI Tech News:
- U.S. Justice Department shuts down dark web bazaar AlphaBay | Reuters.com
- Mobile game revenue finally surpasses PC and consoles | VentureBeat.com
- Tech group--Computer & Communications Industry Association--sides with Apple in Qualcomm's iPhone ban dispute | Reuters.com
- Google Glass 2.0 Is a Startling Second Act | WIRED.com: "Glass is ... a tool."
- Baidu, JD.com to join others investing $12 billion in state-owned China Unicom | Reuters.com
- Google launches Hire, a recruitment app that integrates with Gmail and other G Suite services | VentureBeat.com
- China aims to become world leader in AI, challenges U.S. dominance | Reuters.com
- Amazon launches Spark, a shoppable feed of stories and photos aimed at Prime members | TechCrunch.com
- Microsoft profit beats expectations on strong cloud demand | Reuters.com
- Why Does Anyone Own IBM? (NYSE:IBM) | SeekingAlpha.com
- China stifles WhatsApp with 'Great Firewall' | TheHill.com
- London Stock Exchange Group tests blockchain for private company shares | Reuters.com
- Chinese brands have invaded Indonesia’s fast-growing smartphone market | TechCrunch.com: 1. Samsung; 2. Oppo; 3. Asus; 4. Advan (Indonesian); 5. Lenovo-Motorola.
- Fintech charmed by Macron but reluctant to leave London for Paris | Reuters.com: "Startups based in London do not yet seem ready to swap that key hub for Paris, even if they have French roots."
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo