If everything goes fine, you should not notice and your systems will all work as normal. However, if your DNS resolvers are not ready to use the new key, your users may not be able to reach many websites, send email, use social media or engage in other Internet activities ... It should be a "non-event" in that it will be "just another day on the Internet" --Dan YorkThe Communications Regulatory Authority (CRA) has cautioned the public against misleading information circulating on social media platforms pertaining to an alleged “two-day Internet outage across the world.” The CRA clarified that on October 11, 2018, the Internet Corporation of Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) will change the cryptographic key that helps protect the Domain Name System (DNS) — the Internet’s address book--gulf-times.com.
Root KSK Rollover: ICANN Board approved (with dissent), to change or "roll" the key for the DNS root on 11 Oct 2018, first time the key has ever been changed--ICANN.org.What To Expect During the Root KSK Rollover (pdf, updated 17 Sep 2018) embed below:
Tweets by InternetIntel
- How to Prepare for the DNSSEC Root KSK Rollover on October 11, 2018 | circleid.com: "... 5. Plan to be around on 11 October 2018 at 16:00 UTC [12noon EDT] ..."
- What you need to know about the first-ever DNSSEC root key rollover on October 11, 2018--redhat.com.
- The Root KSK Rollover? What Does It Mean for Me?--circleid.com.
- Operational Notification: KSK-2010 will be retired from the root zone, potentially affecting validating resolvers--kb.isc.org/docs/aa-01529
- DNSSEC – Root Zone KSK Rollover--suse.com
- [SingCERT] Technical Advisory on DNSSEC Root Zone Key Signing Key Rollover--csa.gov.sg
Operational Plans for the Root KSK Rollover | ICANN.org: the current operational plans for 2018 are:The DNS Root Zone KSK rollover is happening this week!— APNIC (@apnic) October 8, 2018
See how ready the Internet is. https://t.co/IPMhpOwlIg#KSKroll #DNSSEC pic.twitter.com/Xp4mB1oJ1n
- 2018 KSK Rollover Operational Implementation Plan – Describes in detail the remaining operational steps to accomplish the root KSK rollover.
- 2018 KSK Rollover Back Out Plan – Describes anticipated deviations from the Operational Implementation Plan based on anomalies occurring while executing the operational plan.
- 2018 KSK Rollover Monitoring Plan – Describes the plan to monitor the effects of changing the trust anchor for the root zone in the traffic towards root servers.
- 2018 KSK Outreach Plan – Describes how ICANN will publicize the roll in order to have resolver operators better prepared.
- Steps of the KSK Roll Already Performed in 2017 – Describes what already took place in 2017 preparing for the KSK roll.