Sep 7, 2016: FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler addressed CTIA #SuperMobility 2016 attendees, discussing his priorities for the agency. Among the topics discussed included privacy, innovation, infrastructure and spectrum.
"One thing you’ll take away this week is that 5G is coming & it’s coming fast."--Meredith Baker, @CTIA President/CEOFCC Chairman Tom Wheeler at CTIA Super Mobility 2016 (full transcript embed below):
- More people around the world connected to the mobile network than to the electric grid.
- Here comes 5G ... 5G is like the missing piece of the puzzle depicting the wireless future.
- Gigabit mobile connections at any location will open up hugely disruptive new value propositions for the users of networks.
- The Internet’s open design is protected by FCC rules.
- What’s still missing? Ultra-high-speed, high-capacity, low-latency, secure mobile connectivity. That's what 5G delivers.
- Wireless data use more than doubled from 2014 to 2015, and continued growth is projected for the foreseeable future.
- 3 keys for what the Commission [FCC.gov] can do to help unlock the 5G opportunity: spectrum; infrastructure (backhaul); siting.
- 5G is not a technology. It is a revolution.
CTIA Super Mobility 2016 | ctialatest.org/sm16/ Keynotes Sept 7-9:
• September 7th: 9:00am – 10:30am (PST) Keynote Session (in order of appearance):
- CTIA President & CEO Meredith Attwell Baker
- CTIA Chairman and AT&T Mobility and Consumer Operations President & CEO Glenn Lurie
- FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler (transcript below)
- The Chernin Group CEO Peter Chernin
- GSMA Director General Mats Granryd
- Verizon EVP & President of Operations John Stratton
- Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. EVP & CTO Matt Grob
- Chairman & CEO Axs TV and Owner Mark Cuban
- Nokia President & CEO Rajeev Suri
How's this for a #wireless stat? @ATT's Glenn Lurie showcases US leadership in #mobile. #SuperMobility @CTIAShows pic.twitter.com/rlyaXCEJrS— Mobile Future (@mobilefuture) September 7, 2016
2015 US data stats: 2.9 trillion minutes, 9.6 trillion megabites, 1.9 trillion texts. #SuperMobility #CTIA #CTIA2016 pic.twitter.com/gxF8ZLOdKJ— Ericsson N. America (@EricssonNA) September 7, 2016
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo