1) Digital Advertising's Disruption and Data Addiction - The advertising industry is in flux and no one can keep up:
CNBC International video above published Jun 26, 2018: advertising executives are facing a lot of questions about the future of their business - and not a lot of answers. CNBC’s Elizabeth Schulze reports from the Cannes Lions festival on disruption in the advertising industry, data monetization and privacy rules such as Europe's GDPR on data protection.
- The ad-based Internet is dead, but not because of privacy regulations--thehill.com.
- Google rebrands AdWords as Google Ads, consolidates enterprise tools as Google Marketing Platform, and unifies publisher monetization tools as Google Ad Manager--blog.google.
- Google retires DoubleClick, AdWords brand names--Reuters.com.
2) Four-way competition among China's smartphone giants
|source Statista.com (June 26, 2018)|
The Week: NASDAQ Composite -2.4% | S&P 500 Index -1.3% | DJIA -1.2% | U.S. stocks end Friday broadly higher, major indexes post negative week but positive quarter. For the second quarter of 2018, all three indices ended up: DJIA +0.7%, S&P500 +2.9%, and the NASDAQ +6.3%. For the first half of 2018, the DJIA is -1.8%, the S&P500 +1.7%, and the NASDAQ +8.8%:
"... summer liquidity is so thin its’ difficult to see where the pressure to really spike a crash would come from. On my PA account – I’m waiting for the moment to pile in if it looks cheap – but not convinced that summer is necessarily a good time to be convinced of anything ... Playing the “Trump” is very much a matter of stripping out the negative bias news flow, working out what is real in negotiations, and assessing the real games being played in Geopolitics. Nothing is quite what it seems ..."--Bill Blain June 27, 2018.
“The U.S. continues to be the most resilient economy and the source of many upward earnings revisions”--Marketwatch.com June 29, 2018.
Forget the tariff tantrum—S&P 500 is headed 10% higher in 2018, says Blackstone’s Wien--Marketwatch.com June 27, 2018.
Despite being in a mansion-sized doghouse, #bitcoin is still in our thoughts. We recently updated our correlation work on $BTC vs the S&P 500 for our DataTrek Morning Briefing. Does bitcoin’s decline tell us anything about the direction of US #stocks? The math is clear: NO.— DataTrek Research (@DataTrekMB) June 26, 2018
- Bitcoin drops to $5,860, lowest since October 2017. True Believers with Fake Hopes Got Cleaned Out by Early Movers--WolfStreet.com Jun 24, 2018 "Down 70% from the peak. This is just not fun anymore ... at the moment, bitcoin is even worse – incredibly – than one of the worst fiat currencies in the world, the Argentine peso, which has plunged “only” 35% over the period during which bitcoin plunged 70%. That takes some doing!"
- Inside the Crypto World's Biggest Scandal--wired.com.
- Bitcoin: Mt. Gox bankruptcy in Japan changed to civil rehabilitation, allowing compensation to customers in bitcoin, which will reportedly 'more than cover cash losses'--Fortune.com.
- Blockchain will become 'obsolete' says Geopolitical Futures founder George Friedman--"I've never known any encryption technology not to be broken," Friedman told CNBC at the UBS CIO Global Forum in New York. CNBC also reported some analysts have noted that if and when an emerging technology called quantum computing matures, it could easily decrypt blockchain.
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- Amazon buys online pharmacy PillPack--thehill.com.
- Alibaba v. Tencent: The Battle for Supremacy in China - Jack Ma of Alibaba and Pony Ma of Tencent have built tech titans that dominate China's digital economy--Fortune.com.
- Google v. Apple: There Is A Clear Winner--SeekingAlpha.com. See also 4 Myths about Alphabet (Google)--SeekingAlpha.com.
- Google: Interview of Danny Sullivan, founder of Search Engine Land, who is now Google's “search liaison” giving explanations for the Google search engine's 'errors'--CNBC.com
- The Walt Disney Company ($DIS) can buy Twenty-First Century Fox ($FOXA) provided it sells 22 regional sports networks says US Department of Justice--justice.gov.
- Redfin (NASDAQ: RDFN) (redfin.com): The 'Everything' Of Real Estate--SeekingAlpha.com.
- Sprint and T-Mobile Merger: The 12 Points From The FCC Filing That Signal Merger Approval And Potential Appreciation--SeekingAlpha.com. See also "Examining the Competitive Impact of the T-Mobile – Sprint Transaction"--Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy, and Consumer Rights (US Senate video), June 27, 2018.
- WaPo Unions vs Jeff Bezos: “When Your Owner Is Richer Than God, It’s Easier To Get Uppity”: Discontent At The Washington Post As The Union Targets Jeff Bezos | VanityFair.com. [Editor's note: Bezos still thinking about building Amazon's HQ2 in a suburb of Washington, DC?]
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo