"We are deluding ourselves if we think that the way the global internet is governed can be detached from the game of power politics among states, and that the openness and freedom of the Internet’s information flows will not be powerfully affected by other countries, and other citizens’, trust (or lack thereof) of the world’s biggest and most powerful state" (source IGP Blog infra, emphasis added)
Or as they say in Washington (home of the surveillance state): "Connect the dots . . . ."
Do the NSA revelations have anything to do with Internet governance? | IGP Blog: "The Internet succeeded in creating a globalized virtual space before states really knew what was happening. But with the World Summit on the Information Society (2003-2005) and later in the ITU’s 2012 World Conference on International Telecommunications (WCIT), there was a confrontation between state sovereignty and the native institutions. The WCIT process polarized the controversy, fragmenting support for a new treaty on International Telecommunication Regulations (ITRs). The NSA revelations - Into this deadlock came the NSA spying revelations. The information released by Snowden had huge repercussions in Internet governance..."(read more at the link above)
Brazil defends new global authority to manage the Internet - Digital convergence - Internet: "..."The Internet has no central point of governance. But according to the revelations of the Snowden case surfaced privacy concerns with freedom of expression, subjects who do not have an appropriate place for discussion within bodies such as ICANN, IETF and ISOC. These issues demand a new architecture for the organization of the Internet, "says Almeida." (Google translation from original)
Stay tuned. Next up: Global Multistakeholder Meeting on the Future of Internet Governance, São Paulo, Brazil, April 23-24, 2014, Grand Hyatt Hotel - more info: http://netmundial.br/
Seguir a @DomainMondo
Domain Mondo posts:
- ► 2017 (356)
- ► 2016 (431)
- ► 2015 (604)
- Buy a new gTLD domain name? Most are saying "No"
- Search and the new gTLDs domain names
- Dot Com Domain Names, Better than Gold?
- Mike Mann Prediction on new gTLDs, ICANN, Huckster...
- ICANN's new gTLDS attract little interest from hig...
- NSA, ICANN, Internet Governance, Connect the Dots
- Inept ICANN, Glossary Terms and Acronyms Now Onlin...
- Left of the Dot, Right of the Dot, A Name is a Nam...
- Matt Cutts says Google will NOT favor new gTLDs
- New Top Level Domains, No Bargains
- Finding a Good Domain Name Registrar
- London top level domain name, April Launch
- What’s In a Domain Name? You Better Find Out BEFOR...
- EU Pushes to Globalize Internet Governance, Goodby...
- Court Says gTLDs Are Not Domain Names for Cybersqu...
- 21-Year-Old Model, Online Entrepreneur (video)
- TrakBill changes name, rebrands to TrackBill.com
- New gTLDs, Domain Names, and Gold -- What You Can ...
- Domain Sherpa interview of the Domain King is a "...
- Domain Name, Shorter is Better
- Domain Seizure, Just One Problem With Leasing Your...
- New gTLDs, prepare for coming criminal abuse and s...
- ▼ February (22)