1) Tech Regulation and Volatility in the Venture Capital Landscape
Trae Vassallo, Defy Partners Management (domain: defy.vc) managing director, discusses possible regulation of the tech sector and other current issues affecting the technology sector. She spoke with Bloomberg's Emily Chang on "Bloomberg Technology" April 17, 2018.
See also Blowback Against Facebook, Google And Amazon Is Just Beginning | ZeroHedge.com: "... people are starting to question the social and political costs of these tech darlings' dominance and the billions in profits they reap ... We all understand how Corporate Media undermines democracy: recall how every time Bernie Sanders won a Democratic primary in 2016, The New York Times and The Washington Post "reported" the news in small typeface in a sidebar, while every Hillary Clinton primary win was trumpeted in large headlines at the top of page one. But this sort of manipulation is visible; what Google and Facebook do is invisible ... Amazon is the embodiment of numerous destructive dynamics ..."
2) European VCs Raise Cash in New Era of Startup Investing
Dawn Capital (domain: dawncapital.com) General Partner Haakon Overli and Octopus Ventures (domain: octopusventures.com) CEO Alliott Cole discuss the hundreds of millions in new funding raised to invest in European startups. They joined Bloomberg's Caroline Hyde Tuesday on "Bloomberg Technology" April 19, 2018.
See also Why Venture Capital is Pouring Into Token Startups | YouTube.com Apr 13, 2018: Lonne Jaffe, managing director at Insight Venture Partners (domain: insightpartners.com), discusses investing in cryptocurrency and technology startups with Bloomberg.com's Joe Weisenthal on "What'd You Miss.""
NASDAQ Composite | S&P 500 Index | DJIA--markets basically "flat" for the week.
Investing Notes:What can the Roman Stoics tell us about how #markets are #trading? "We are more often frightened than hurt and we suffer more from imagination than from reality."- Seneca. As for how this all relates to the #VIX, S&P 500 and #gold, click here to read more: https://t.co/XDU8lcoQb1— DataTrek Research (@DataTrekMB) April 24, 2018
- Q1 2018 earnings this past week on DomainMondo.com: Alphabet, Twitter, Facebook, Verisign, Amazon.
- Deutsche Bank Abandons Global Investment Banking: Deutsche will concentrate on its European home market, in contrast to UK-based Barclays, its main European rival. Barclays reported Thursday pre-tax profits at its corporate and investment bank rose 48 per cent in the quarter, beating Wall Street rivals with a 21 per cent surge in trading revenue (in US dollar terms).
- Tech chaos blocks Spanish-owned bank's UK customers from their funds: Day 5 | "But as they say here in Spain, haste can kill (la prisa mata)."--WolfStreet.com.
- "Canada Is In Serious Trouble" Again, And This Time It's For Real | ZeroHedge.com: "unlike the US, the average Canadian household had failed to reduce its debt load."
- 15 Types of Regression you should know | listendata.com: types of regression algorithms designed for various types of analysis.
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- T-Mobile + Sprint? (Deutsche Telekom, SoftBank)--T-Mobile, Sprint finalizing merger terms: sources | Reuters.com--if true, resulting U.S. market shares (2017 data): 1) Verizon 35% 2)AT&T 33%, 3) T-Mobile & Sprint 30%, 4) other 2%.
- Amazon will raise the US price of Prime for the first time in 4 years, from $99 to $119; change will take effect for new subs May 11 and existing subs June 16--Recode.net.
- Lexicon: Facebook’s Inexorable Tie to Data Brokers | TheRinger.com: "Shadowy companies, digital and analog, have found ways to collect user data for profit for many years. Facebook has made the practice easier than ever while eluding the the untoward name."
- Why we should worry about Facebook and Google owning our data | thenextweb.com
- Who Has More of Your Personal Data Than Facebook? Try Google | WSJ.com: the many ways Google obtains user data via Gmail, apps on devices, its Analytics service, etc; Google probably knows much more about us than Facebook.
- Sizing the potential value of AI and advanced analytics | McKinsey.com: "the broad use and significant economic potential of advanced AI techniques."
- U.S. Department of Justice supoenas top 4 U.S. Wireless Carriers and GSMA association over collusion to impede eSIM features for easier carrier switching--WSJ.com.
- How China Is Buying Its Way Into Europe | Bloomberg.com
- Amazon India's Amit Agarwal says groceries and consumables to be more than half of company's business in India within the next five years--Reuters.com
- Chinese entrepreneurs have some creative responses to the government’s crackdown on crypto | MIT TechnologyReview.com
- speedtest - Google Search | google.com: "Check your internet speed in under 30 seconds."
- Browser wars 2018: Microsoft Edge falls behind ... Internet Explorer? | ZDNet.com Editor's note: if your browser isn't Chrome or Firefox, your browser "sucks."
- Can I install Firefox on my Chromebook? - Google Product Forums: "Can I install Firefox on my Chromebook?" Answer: Android apps are now available in selected Chromebooks, check the full list here. If your Chromebook supports running Android apps, then you can download Firefox from Google Play Store and even set it as your default browser.
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo