1) Elon Musk Week: Falcon Heavy Launch of Starman in a Tesla
|Falcon Heavy side rockets returning in perfect parallel landings|
- SpaceX (domain: spacex.com) is a privately held company founded by Elon Musk.
- Tesla (NASDAQ: TSLA) (domain: Tesla.com).
2) Analyst: AWS is Amazon's Fastest Growing Business
Tom Forte, D.A. Davidson analyst, discusses the outlook for Amazon.com Inc., Amazon Web Services (AWS) and how the acquisition of Whole Foods has been transformative. He speaks with Bloomberg's Alix Steel on "Bloomberg Markets" Jan 26, 2018.
Amazon Rolls Out Whole Foods Delivery
Bloomberg.com video published Feb 8, 2018: Bloomberg's Olivia Zaleski and Techonomy CEO David Kirkpatrick discuss Amazon's rollout for Whole Foods delivery. They speak with Emily Chang on "Bloomberg Technology."
Amazon $AMZN--SeekingAlpha.com: "Never in history has the largest, most valuable business on earth traded for 338x [or 217x] current-year earnings ... Large, profitable companies during the dot.com years had trouble even reaching 100x earnings ... Apple $AAPL ... trades for 14.5x FY2018 earnings consensus."
Worst Week in 2 Years for Stocks Ends on High Note: Markets Wrap | Bloomberg.com: "a furious rally Friday left the equity benchmark [S&P 500] 1.5 percent higher on the day."
|S&P 500 is down only 2% since last day of trading in 2017 on Dec 29, but down almost 9% since Jan 26, 2018|
Worst of Market Turmoil Behind Us ... This is a Dip You Have To Buy, Fundstrat's Lee Says | Bloomberg | YouTube.com Feb 8, 2018 video--Tom Lee, Fundstrat Global Advisors head of research, discusses the selloff in U.S. equity markets, inflation, and his investment strategy.
How Two Tiny Volatility Products Helped Fuel Sudden Stock Slump | Bloomberg.com Feb 7, 2018: "Exchange-traded products ‘major driver’ of Monday mayhem--Lack of cross-asset contagion points to their role in stocks."
- GDPNow - Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta | frbatlanta.org Feb 6, 2018: "The GDPNow model forecast for real GDP growth (seasonally adjusted annual rate) in the first quarter of 2018 is 4.0 percent."
- Buy The Dip, And Sell The VIX: This Bear Is Still Hibernating, For Now - SPDR S&P 500 Trust ETF (NYSEARCA:SPY) | SeekingAlpha.com
- Deutsche Bank Tumbles To 2016 Lows Amid Reports Of HNA Technical Default | ZeroHedge.com: The biggest shareholder of Europe's most distressed bank is China's most insolvent conglomerate.
- Dalio's $13 Billion Short: Bridgewater Unveils Its Biggest Ever Short Position | ZeroHedge.com: the world's biggest hedge fund has placed its "bets against Italian banks and insurers."
- The Trump Effect On Gold And Guns | SeekingAlpha.com: "Physical gold, silver and gun sales have plummeted since the election of Donald Trump."
Trump has said he will “never, ever infringe on the right of the people to keep and bear arms.” Since Trump’s election victory in November 2016, gun manufacturer American Outdoor Brands Corp $AOBC has lost almost two thirds of its stock market value, while Sturm Ruger & Company Inc $RGR has fallen by a fourth of its value. See also: U.S. gunmaker Remington reaches deal with creditors to file for bankruptcy | Reuters.com.
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- Facebook’s app for kids should freak parents out | MIT TechnologyReview.com: "Messenger Kids, its first grab at the under-13 crowd, is not to be trusted. After all, you’ve seen how the company treats adults."
- Google Chrome: Beware these malicious extensions that record everything you do | ZDNet.com: Google said in a statement to Trend Micro that it had disabled the extensions on devices of all affected Chrome users.
- China: Republican senators want to bar US government from using ZTE, Huawei devices | TheHill.com
- Unicorns: Last year VCs put $66 billion into “Unicorn” companies worth more than $1 billion, 39% more than in 2016--TechCrunch.com. Editor's note: Unicorns increasingly have problems trying to justify their own notional enterprise values or venture capital valuations.
- Bitcoin Ban Expands Across Credit Cards as Big U.S. Banks Recoil | Bloomberg.com: "After recent price drops, JPMorgan doesn’t want credit risk."
- Bitcoin, Blockchain, and the Trouble with ICOs | WIRED.com: "Many cryptocurrency speculators are banking on the theory that someone dumber than them will buy their tokens for more than they paid. That’s a pretty good bet … until it isn’t."
- Immigration: Groups urge Trump to keep 'International Entrepreneur Rule'--TheHill.com
From the Reuters.com feed:
- “We support fair taxation of large companies, in particular Internet concerns like Google, Apple, Facebook and Amazon”--177-page German coalition pact.
-- John Poole, Editor, Domain Mondo
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo