1) Robot Revolution: A New Age of Manufacturing (video)
Wall Street Journal (wsj.com) video above published Feb 1, 2018: Hundreds of millions of jobs affected. Trillions of dollars of wealth created. These are the potential impacts of a coming wave of automation. In this episode of WSJ's Moving Upstream, we see the next generation of industrial robots, what they're capable of, and whether they’re friend or foe to low-skilled workers.
2) China: Financial risks facing China worse than in US before global crash, former finance minister says | South China Morning Post | scmp.com 30 January, 2018.
- HNA to Face $2.4 Billion Liquidity Crunch This Quarter | Bloomberg.com: January 30, 2018
- Chinese Stocks Tumble As Hong Kong Officials Monitor Surge In ATM Withdrawals | ZeroHedge.com Feb 1, 2018: "... when will China devalue again? it's already got the capital outflows anticipating it ..."
- Chinese Liquidity Crunch Begins As Stocks Sink: Bankers Begging Friends For Deposits On WeChat | ZeroHedge.com
- China’s HNA tries to navigate turbulent times | ft.com: Once the darling of Beijing’s overseas corporate expansion plan the group has fallen out of favour and faces a cash crunch.
- Cracks Are Showing in China's Shadow Banking Industry | Bloomberg.com: "Recent payment delays shake confidence of Chinese depositors"
Veteran Trader Art Cashin On Why Stocks Are Plunging | CNBC - YouTube.com: inflation fears, drama in D.C. [Editor's note: I'd add concerns over China (see above), and Fed Policy--interest rates and shrinking the Fed balance sheet--Fed’s QE Unwind Accelerates Sharply | WolfStreet.com.]
- ZeroHedge.com: "The Atlanta Fed's latest GDPNow forecast for Q1 economic growth has started at an impressive 4.2%..."
- Things are going GREAT in the eurozone, so why isn’t the ECB raising rates? | MarketWatch.com: "with rates this low [negative], the bank [ECB] essentially has exhausted its emergency tool kit in case of another, unexpected crisis."
- On the other hand, maybe things aren't so great in the eurozone: Bridgewater Triples Bets [short positions] Against Italian Firms to $3 Billion | Bloomberg.com ahead of elections in Italy on March 4, 2018. See also: Deutsche Bank posts third consecutive annual loss in 2017--reuters.com.
- Massive Cryptocurrency Heist Spurs Call for More Regulation | Bloomberg.com: nearly $500 million theft of digital tokens from Japanese cryptocurrency exchange Coincheck Inc.
- Singapore Overtakes China as Largest Asian Investor in U.S. Property | Bloomberg.com: due to Singapore's sovereign wealth fund’s purchases, including its $988 million investment in 60 Wall St., New York.
- Why Warren Buffett Is Spot-On With His Vanguard Fund Advice | InvestorPlace.com
- Wall Street Can't Hold Back Vanguard's Low-Fee Ocean | Bloomberg.com: replicating investment styles used by Wall Street stock pickers "at a fraction of the cost"--"Wall Street will have to lower fees."
- This Week's Question: When does GE get kicked out of the Dow?
4) ICYMI Tech News:
- Chasing Amazon, Google to Create a Cloud App Marketplace | Bloomberg.com
- Chasing Apple, Google completes its $1.1B deal to buy a chunk of HTC’s smartphone division | TechCrunch.com.
- Google Parent Alphabet and Aramco in Talks to Build Tech Hub in Saudi Arabia | WSJ.com: "Saudi giant has sought to wean itself off oil; a deal with the California tech behemoth would help."
- Amazon, Berkshire Hathaway and JP Morgan Chase tackle health care costs--Warren Buffett, Berkshire Hathaway Chairman--“The ballooning costs of healthcare act as a hungry tapeworm on the American economy. Our group does not come to this problem with answers. But we also do not accept it as inevitable.”
- Apple Slashes iPhone X Production In Half After Disappointing Holiday Sales | ZeroHedge.com
- China smartphone growth ends--BBC.com, and Verizon Drops Plan to Sell Phones From China's Huawei,| Bloomberg.com: "Carriers pressured by U.S. government to avoid handset maker."
- Jackpotting: Hackers make ATMs spit out lots of cash--stltoday.com.
- NYTimes.com: Devumi.com uses 3.5M+ automated Twitter accounts to sell followers and retweets to 200K+ customers.
- Tech Companies Are Under Pressure Everywhere Except Where It Matters | theintercept.com: everywhere but the FTC.
- Google, Tencent, Sequoia China join $15 million funding for pharma startup XtalPi which uses AI, cloud computing and quantum physics to improve drug design processes.
- China's Xiaomi back to top five vendor as global smartphone market shrinks--the BIG 5: Samsung, Apple, Huawei, OPPO, Xiaomi.
feedback & comments via twitter @DomainMondo